- Vineyard Wind Submits Proposal to Deliver up to 1200 MW of Offshore Wind to Connecticut September 30, 2019
Vineyard Wind submitted a set of offshore wind project proposals to the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) in response to their 2019 solicitation for offshore wind power.
- Atlantic Shores Launches Offshore Surveys, Appoints Fisheries Liaison Officer September 26, 2019
Preparing for future development, Atlantic Shores Offshore Wind LLC – a 50/50 joint venture between EDF and Shell New Energies US LLC – has launched ocean survey operations within its lease area off the coast of New Jersey.
- Berkeley Lab: Expected Useful Life Of Wind Farms Keeps Rising September 26, 2019
A national lab study says the expected useful life of U.S. wind projects has increased to 30 years.
- Ørsted to pioneer deployment of GE’s next generation offshore wind turbine September 19, 2019
Ørsted has selected GE Renewable Energy as the preferred turbine supplier for two US offshore wind farms. This marks the world’s first commercial deployment of GE’s Haliade-X 12MW offshore wind turbine.
- MassCEC, BOEM, and RIDEM release RFP for pilot studies for regional fisheries research and monitoring for Southern New England August 30, 2019
The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC), in partnership with the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) and the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management (RIDEM), invites proposals for development and execution of pilot studies for regional fisheries research and monitoring for Southern New England in relation to the Massachusetts and Rhode Island/Massachusetts wind energy areas. Proposals are due October 17, 2019.
- Connecticut DEEP Releases Offshore Wind RFP for up to 2,000 MW of offshore wind August 19, 2019
The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) released a request for proposals (RFP) for offshore wind power as required under Public Act 19-71, An Act Concerning the Procurement of Energy Derived from Offshore Wind. This request for proposals seeks up to 2,000 MW of offshore wind.
- Governor Cuomo Executes the Nation’s Largest Offshore Wind Agreement and Signs Historic Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act July 18, 2019
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, joined by former Vice President Al Gore, executed the nation’s largest offshore wind agreement and the single largest renewable energy procurement by any state in U.S. history – nearly 1,700 megawatts -with the selection of two offshore wind projects. The two projects are the Empire Wind and Sunrise Wind development projects of Equinor US Holdings, Inc. and Bay State Wind LLC, a joint venture of Ørsted A/S and Eversource Energy, respectively. Combined, both projects will total 1,700 megawatts.
- Ørsted and EEW Plan Monopile Factory in New Jersey July 8, 2019
Ørsted has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with EEW to work towards establishing a monopile fabrication facility in Paulsboro, New Jersey, for the Ocean Wind project.
- Connecticut DEEP issues Draft Request for Proposals and Opportunity for Public Comment for Offshore Wind Procurement July 1, 2019
The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) on July 1 issued a draft request for proposals (RFP) to procure up to 2 GW of offshore wind capacity. For more details see the CT DEEP procurement website.
- New Jersey Board of Public Utilities Awards Historic 1,100 MW Offshore Wind Solicitation to Ørsted’s Ocean Wind Project June 21, 2019
The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (NJBPU) unanimously granted the state’s first award for offshore wind to Ørsted’s Ocean Wind 1,100 MW project, giving the company the opportunity to build 1,100 MW of offshore wind in federal waters.
- BOEM Announces Next Steps for Proposed New York – New Jersey Wind Energy Transmission Line June 16, 2019
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) announced the publication of a ‘Request for Competitive Interest’ for the development of the New York and New Jersey Wind Energy Transmission Line, an offshore transmission system that would deliver offshore wind energy to the onshore electric grid. The publication marks the next step in BOEM’s review and consideration of a potential New York-New Jersey Wind Energy Transmission Line. Comments can be submitted through http://www.regulations.gov. In the entry entitled “Enter Keyword or ID,” enter BOEM-2018-0067, and then click “search.” Comments are due by July 19, 2019 11:59 PM ET.
- South Fork Wind Farm Releases Draft Fisheries Research and Monitoring Plan. June 13, 2019
South Forth Wind Farm has released a draft Fisheries Research and Monitoring Plan and is asking state fisheries advisory boards and offshore wind fisheries working groups to review and provide comments. They ask that comments be submitted via email by July 8, 2019 to Melanie Gearon; South Fork Wind Farm; Manager, Permitting and Environmental Affairs at email@example.com.
- BOEM Announces Renewable Energy Path Forward on the Atlantic June 11, 2019
BOEM sought input on the Proposed Path Forward for Future Offshore Renewable Energy Leasing on the Atlantic Outer Continental Shelf through a Request for Feedback (RFF) that published in the Federal Register on April 6, 2018. Comments and feedback on the proposed path forward can be found on regulations.gov at: https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=BOEM-2018-0018
In response to comments, BOEM’s Acting Director announced a “path forward” on offshore wind, which can be found here: https://www.boem.gov/Renewable-Energy/Path-Forward/.
- The U.S. Coast Guard seeks applications for membership on the Commercial Fishing Safety Advisory Committee. May 28, 2019
The Commercial Fishing Safety Advisory Committee provides advice and makes recommendations to the Coast Guard and the Department of Homeland Security on various matters relating to the safe operation of commercial fishing industry vessels. Deadline for applications is July 29, 2019.
- Massachusetts Announces Second 800MW Offshore Wind Solicitation. May 23, 2019
The Massachusetts Electric Distribution companies, in coordination with the Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources, are issuing an RFP for Long-term Contracts for Offshore Wind Energy Projects pursuant to Section 83C of Chapter 169 of the Acts of 2008, as amended by chapter 188 of the Acts of 2016, An Act to Promote Energy Diversity.
- Vineyard Wind Launches Search for Acoustic Monitoring Systems to Help Safeguard Critically Endangered North Atlantic Right Whales. May 21, 2019
Vineyard Wind announced that it is seeking proposals from universities, technology companies and other innovators for implementation of advanced Passive Acoustic Monitoring Systems (PAMS) to be deployed alongside transit routes to the offshore wind area located off the coast of Massachusetts.
- Connecticut passes bill to procure 2 GW of offshore wind. May 16, 2019
The Connecticut House of Representatives has passed a bill that may bring up to 2 GW of offshore wind capacity to the state. House Bill 7156 was approved with an overwhelming 134-10 vote and will now be sent to the State Senate. To become law, it first needs to be signed by Governor Ned Lamont.
- Massachusetts Agency Awards Vineyard Wind Key Permit for Construction of Offshore Wind Farm Interconnection to Regional Grid. May 9, 2019
The Massachusetts Energy Facilities Siting Board (EFSB) approved petitions filed by Vineyard Wind for construction and operation of electric transmission facilities within the Commonwealth that will deliver 800 megawatts (MW) of offshore wind energy to the regional power grid.
- New plan for Riverside Galleria site: Wind turbine assembly facility proposed. May 3, 2019
After Staten Island elected officials and South Shore residents rejected a plan to build a shopping center on 21-acres of waterfront property that abuts the Arthur Kill, a new proposal has emerged for an offshore wind turbine assembly facility.
- Connecticut Governor Lamont Announces Major Development Plan That Will Establish New London as a Central Hub of the Offshore Wind Industry. May 2, 2019
The Connecticut Port Authority and terminal operator Gateway are partnering with Bay State Wind on a harbor development plan for State Pier in New London that will enable its revitalization and put in place the needed components to establish the region as a central hub in New England for the developing offshore wind industry.